Tuesday, February 19, 2008

So what the heck is that...

Can you guess what this is? Let me give you a hint; it's something that everyone uses. It's found at home, in hotels, on beds and sofas. Well, usually it is located under the head but it can also double as a bolster. Can you guess it by now.

Yes, it's a pillow. This pillow is actually made of rattan. So it might sound hard to sleep on. It's also super airy thanks to the loose weaves. I have never seen one of these in Malaysia, only recently in Japan. The first time I saw one of these was at a local hot spring establishment. After a nice dip in the hot spring, your hair is usually still pretty wet, so I think this kind of pillow must have been quite phenomenal before the the hair dryer was invented.

I had a go at it the other day, and it didn't feel as hard as I expected. In fact it was kind of springy. If you have tried a rattan chair before, you may know what I mean. Here's a picture of myself using one, while resting on the tatami area, right after a wonderfully therapeutic dip in the hot spring and steam bath room. It was heavenly to say the least...


No comments: