Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Just swear it, you'll feel much better

I feel a bit out of whack today. So pardon the rude entry.

To me, and I am pretty sure everyone of you out there, learning a new language is a daunting task. There's an easier way, of course. Start with swear words first. It's fun, easy to remember, and most of all, it makes you feel good/bad. Either way you feel a little lighter, if you are like me and understood one of my past lecturers who thinks that a joke is not effective unless it is vulgar. Or my favourite, "how can he talk if he ain't vulgar" from an unknown Hong Kong actor.

I didn't know why but suspect that our brains are wired in such a way as to make swearing evolutionary profitable? Now scientist thinks that swearing also eases pain and lessen stress.

I must admit that I had lost my sense of humour a few years ago. I think being Permanently head-Damaged has something to do with it. Anyway a few days ago, I had a whale of a time as I silently thought to myself about asking my guest if they wanted Dilmah tea ('tiu-mär-chä) and subsequently burst into laughter. It's nice to have a laugh once in a while. Sorry if you didn't get the joke. Perhaps if you speak Teochew you might get this one?

No comments: